18.6.08

Mews...

There really is nothing prettier than a Mews house.

Mews is an English word formerly used to describe a row of stables with carriage houses below and living quarters above. These rows usually shared a paved yard or court, and were built behind large aristocratic family houses of the 17th and 18th centuries.

Today most mews stables have been converted to fabulous abodes, very highly sought after in the 'conversion' real estate market. Most Mews are found in the stunning-out-of-my-league older suburbs of London like Belgravia...dream...

I have a strange obsession with living on a house that steps onto an alley way....

Why, I hear you ask....?

Well, I'm not actually sure, but it is probably that you don't have to have a front garden and it is a bit unusual, not the norm....

My alley-way house which I had to give up recently when I moved, was fantastic. The only way to get in was to put up the roller door - I felt like I lived in a secret house and was blissfully happy coming home to it every night.

2 comments:

  1. Thought provoking post on Mews Emma. A close friend once lived in a little row cottage just near St. Peter's College in Hackney & experienced the same feeling there. The WA weather looks so cold at the moment, should make you feel like you're back in the Hills!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. i adore these houses! we have nothing like them where i live. so cute!

    ReplyDelete

While of course I appreciate your generous comments, please don't feel obliged ... just having you stop by is lovely enough!

Happy day dear friends xx