25.11.08

Dinner is Served ...

Isn't this guy a hoot? Hee he xx

Seriously, Christmas is my favourite decorating time of the year ... and who better to provide us with some whimsical inspiration than the ever-so-stylish Danes ...

Royal Copenhagen originally started displaying Christmas table settings 45 years ago, when their in house artists would hope to create a festive ambiance in the store ...
This tradition continues but now the tables are created by the famous ...

Last year the theme was 'Christmas of the Artists' and these are just 3 of the stunning designs ...


This first 3 photos is by artist Violise Lunn ...
She created 2 winding twisted branch arrangements glittering with shimmering ornaments for the centre and hung 2 angels overhead to represent the peace of Christmas descending on those dining ...

I love that scrubby table ...


The setting below was created by Niels Bastrup ...
It is 3 tables in fact, soaring into the ceiling to look like a Christmas tree ... with the chandelier hung above representing the star on top ...
Glittering ornaments, mirrors, potted topiary plants and plaster busts of the company's founder complete this theatrical design ...



And below my favourite ... the setting created by the wonderful and whimsical Jette Frolich ...
One of Royal Copenhagen's most enduring artists, having designed Christmas decorations for them for 18 years ...
Her inspiration came from ice skating at Christmas as a child ... and the table is set as an elliptical ice rink with glittering ice princes princesses dancing across the ice ...
Also set are softly glowing candles and twigs lending a clean and crisp winter morning aroma ...



Do you love?
I love ...

This Christmas the theme is 'Castles and Manors', and 6 Danish barons, baronesses and countesses have been invited to design table settings as they would in their own homes (or castles as they may be!) ...

I can't wait to see the photos! Could someone (um ... Lucy) pop over to Copenhagen and take some?
Unfortunately, it's a little far for me to go, but one year maybe xx

13 comments:

  1. um, I'm going to have to go back and look at those pics again as I am seriously freaked out by that owl! Looks like dorm room hijinks with Harry and Ron at Hogwarts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breath taken - they are all gorgeous - but I am most partial to the last one, tres pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the Hogwarts! I think his little mask is so cool though! That shot is actually from another table setting but I thought it was getting a bit long to post 4 so I just put him at the top. I love his little stand too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great, Emma. I am going over right now to see the rest for myself, HEidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks .... what beautiful settings ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Emm - you've outdone yourself girl! Have looked at them twice today, & I'm going out on a limb here & say I love the Niels Bastrup 3 tables Tree. Just so out there it's a winner!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Em, these pictures are soooooo lovely. I think we need to cross our 2 favourite decorating times: Christmas and Weddings.....can someone please get married next Christmas then.....Kim, Pip, Em, Lesh, or dare I say Em or I? That would be good. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is so cute - loving all these designs - WOW - if only I could pull them off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cool! Thanks for sharing!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. That owl is too cute- his mask cracks me up!

    And I love the bottom table setting; it is beautiful, and the table it is set upon looks incredible too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um Lucy - I think we can put odds on for Lesh, but definitely leave me out!!

    Ok, Emma - this is the BEST POST EVER!!!! - and these are soooo you, and I want potted bulbs on my own table now. Man oh man I wish I was in town for Christmas this year, imagine the fun we could have had!! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my goodness... these are all SO INSPIRING! what a fabulous post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply Glorious ... and, I must concur, inspiring!
    Love your blog ... Judith

    ReplyDelete

While of course I appreciate your generous comments, please don't feel obliged ... just having you stop by is lovely enough!

Happy day dear friends xx